Hulu, one of the greatest VoD providers available, has apps for all major TV platforms. This includes Android TVs, Apple TVs, and Fire TVs. However, you’ll need the finest VPN service if you want to know how to get Hulu on Smart TVs outside USA.
Different Smart TV operating systems have slightly different installation procedures. I’ll explain how to do everything in this manual. Typically, once you’re connected to a VPN server in the US, accessing Hulu outside the US shouldn’t be a problem on any platform.
Best VPNs to Get Hulu on Smart TV [Quick Overview]
In light of our extensive study and analysis, the following virtual private networks (VPNs) emerged as our top picks for use with Smart TVs in 2022:
- ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Smart TVs 23+ U.S. servers in 14 American cities. 30-days money-back guarantee available. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. Starts at $6.67/mo on a 12-Months plan + 3-months free.
- Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Smart TVs. 500+ U.S. servers in 20+ American cities. 30-days money-back guarantee on all plans. 7-day free trial for iOS and Android. Starts at $2.30/mo on a 2-year plan + 2 months free (82% off).
- NordVPN: Fastest Smart TV VPN. 1,970+ U.S. servers in 15+ American cities. 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices. 30-days money-back guarantees. The standard plan starts at $3.99/mo on a 2-year plan (51% off).
How to Get Hulu Outside USA on Smart TVs
Brands provide several variations of “Smart TVs” for a wide range of Operating Systems (OS). One option is Android TVs, which use a customized version of the Android operating system and feature Google Play for installing/managing new applications.
Others, however, use an adapter like a Fire TV stick to turn their conventional televisions into Smart TVs. The Amazon App Store serves as the first step for these users when adding new programs to their devices. Meanwhile, Apple TV viewers could grow more imaginative.
How to Watch Hulu on Android Smart TVs
If you’re located outside the US and have an Android-powered Smart TV, here’s how to get access Hulu without any hassles:
- Subscribe to a VPN (I recommend going for ExpressVPN)
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android Smart TV
- Search for “ExpressVPN” and click on the first option
- Launch the ExpressVPN App and connect to a US Server
- Open the Google Play Store and Search for “Hulu”
- Download the “Hulu” app and enjoy streaming!
How to Watch Hulu on Apple TV
If you want to watch Hulu on Apple TV, the simplest method is to AirPlay whatever you are streaming. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN from the premium list above.
- Download the relevant app for your iOS (Mac, iPad, or iPhone).
- Launch the VPN application and connect to a server in the US.
- Open the Hulu app and find the video you want to AirPlay.
- Ensure your iOS and TV are connected on the same network.
- Tap the “Screen Mirror” icon and select your Apple TV
- Enjoy streaming the American Hulu library!
How to Watch Hulu on Amazon Fire TV
To learn how to watch Hulu on Amazon Fire TV outside the US, you need to dive into a few technicalities. Follow the steps below to get started:
- Launch your Amazon Fire Stick device
- Click on “Settings” from the home screen.
- Open the “Device” option from the list
- Scroll down to “Developer Options”
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- Select the “Turn On” option when prompted
- Go back to the home screen of your Firestick
- Type “ExpressVPN” into the search bar
- Click on the ExpressVPN icon and hit the “Get” button
- Launch ExpressVPN and connect to a server in the US
- Open the Hulu app and enjoy the US content library!
How to Watch Hulu on Samsung Smart TV
With one of the top Hulu VPNs, you may follow these steps to access Hulu on your Samsung Smart TV:
- Press the “Home” button on your Samsung Smart TV remote.
- Navigate to the “Apps” section and hover over the search bar.
- Type “Hulu” into the search bar and hit the “Install” button.
- Launch the “ExpressVPN” application and connect to a US server.
- Open the “Hulu” app once the VPN is connected.
- Select ‘log in’ on the welcome screen and device.
- Enter your Hulu account email and password.
- Select your profile from the list of profiles.
How to Watch Hulu on Smart TV (Router Method)
Determine first if your Wi-Fi network allows VPN connections. Open a web browser and enter “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1” to access the router’s administrative interface.
Next, enter your login credentials.The default credentials for your router model can be found by conducting a web search, reading the router’s instruction manual, or contacting your local Internet service provider (ISP).
Once you’ve gained entry to the control panel, you’ll want to locate where you may configure a “VPN” connection.
3.1. Set Up OpenVPN on Your DD-WRT Firmware
- Get the OpenVPN setup files from a reputable provider, such as ExpressVPN.
- Log in to your DD-WRT router’s control panel.
- Navigate to the VPN sub-tab under the “Services” menu.
- Select “Start OpenVPN Client” from the list of protocols to begin using VPN.
3.2. Enter the OpenVPN Client Settings
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file/server from your VPN service.
- Port Address: get this address from your VPN provider too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
How to Watch Hulu on Smart TV (DNS Method)
For TVs that do not support VPN applications, ExpressVPN offers the “MediaStreamer” feature for accessing Hulu and other streaming services:
- Visit the ExpressVPN website and go to the Smart DNS page.
- Enter the verification code that you received via email.
- Register your IP address by selecting the option.
- Visit the ExpressVPN Setup Page.
- Note the IP address as you will need it later.
- Switch on your Smart TV and go to Menu.
- Open the network settings and go to “DNS settings”.
- Enter the IP address that you wrote down earlier.
- Congratulations, you have successfully connected a VPN to your TV.
The Best Smart TV VPNs: Detailed Analysis
When it comes to finding the best Smart TV, we put more than fifty providers to the test. We evaluated each VPN service based on their bandwidth, number of servers, and cost. In this article, we’ll examine the top three VPNs for accessing Hulu on Smart TVs in 2022.
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Smart TVs
Total Servers: 3,000+ | Countries: 94+ | American Servers: 23+ in 14+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.7 | Simultaneous Connections: 5
Based in the British Virgin Islands and founded in 2011, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for Smart TVs, which offers dedicated apps for Android TVs via the Google Play Store, Firestick TV via the Amazon App Store, and Apple TVs via a router application.
This makes it possible for users of Smart TVs to stream Hulu on a bigger screen by connecting to one of ExpressVPN’s more than 3,000 servers located in one of more than 94 different countries. Once subscribed, you’ll have access to VPN connectivity on five different devices at the same time.
If you are interested in purchasing ExpressVPN, you can choose from one of the following three payment plans: monthly (prices start at $12.95), bi-annually ($9.99/mo), or yearly ($6.68/mo). If you want the best deal, I suggest opting with the one-year plan; but, regardless of the plan you choose, you are always protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee!
- 5 Simultaneous Connections
- Verified "No-Logs" Policy
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in BVI
- 3,000+ Servers in 90+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- No Free Trial Available
2. Surfshark: Affordable VPN for Smart TVs
Total Servers: 3,200+ | Countries: 90+ | American Servers: 500+ in 20+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.3 | Simultaneous Connections: Unlimited
Surfshark is a budget-friendly all-rounder that operates flawlessly on Smart TVs. The company was established in 2018 and has its headquarters in the British Virgin Islands. If you own an Android TV or Fire TV, you may download their application directly from the Google Play Store or Amazon Apps, depending on which platform your television uses.
Surfshark even provides Apple TV customers with a pre-configured router, which enables users to enjoy VPN access across their entire home. This feature is only available to Apple TV users. In terms of connection, Surfshark provides an astounding 3,200+ servers located in 65+ countries across the world.
If you utilize Surfshark for streaming, you can also be confident that you will not be confronted with any issues on the Hulu website. You get access to an unlimited number of simultaneous connections, and you can purchase a membership for as little as $2.49 a month (totaling $59.76 for two years).
- Unlimited Simultaneous Logins
- No-Logs Policy Audited by Cure53
- 30-Day Moneyback Guarantee
- 7-Day Free Trial on iOS/Android
- 3,200+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Headquartered in BVI
- No Split Tunneling on iOS
3. NordVPN: Fastest Smart TV VPN
Total Servers: 5,400+ | Countries: 60+ | American Servers: 1,970+ in 15+ Cities | Trustpilot Rating: 4.5 | Simultaneous Connections: 6
NordVPN, which began operations in 2012 and is headquartered in Panama, is the go-to service for privacy-conscious consumers and content distributors. It provides Apple TV users with preconfigured routers, apps for Android TVs, and Firestick devices for streaming movies and TV shows.
Over 5,400 servers are available from NordVPN in 59 different countries, and this number does not even include their hidden servers. These let viewers in any part of the world to access Hulu.
NordVPN offers discounted rates if you sign up for longer periods of service. Monthly plans start at $11.95/month, semi-annual plans cost $9/month, and annual plans cost as little as $4.13/month. You may connect up to six devices at once, which is great news for anyone who stream regularly.
- 6 Simultaneous Connections
- Audited by PwC Switzerland
- 30-Day Refund Guarantee
- Headquartered in Panama
- 5,000+ Servers in 60+ Countries
- Split Tunneling/Network Kill Switch
- Downtime issues on some servers
What to Do If You Don’t Have A Smart TV?
Even if you don’t have a Smart TV, you still have a number of alternatives for viewing Hulu on your TV, including the ones listed below.
- Amazon Firestick
- HDMI Cable
If you don’t have a Smart TV, but still want to watch Hulu on your TV, these external streaming devices should be an answer to your entertainment on bigger screens.
How to Get Hulu on Smart TV: FAQs
When it comes to learning how to get Hulu on smart TVs outside the US, you may come across a few concerns. Below we provide answers to some frequently asked questions:
It is vital that the Hulu app on your Smart TV is always up-to-date. Better performance requires the most recent release of Hulu. So, if you’re having problems with Hulu on your Smart TV, it might be because the app is out of date. If an update is available, download and install it.
On certain smart TVs, you’ll have to download the Hulu app yourself. To utilize it, download it from the app store for your smart TV. Keep in mind that some LG smart TVs, among others, already have Hulu installed.
Use the Home button on your remote to enter Smart Hub mode. In the upper right, click the magnifying glass symbol to bring up a search bar. Type “Hulu” into the search bar, and then choose Apps. To finish the setup procedure, please refer to the on-screen directions.
You can find Hulu on the following Smart TVs:
- VIZIO TVs (selected models)
- Apple TV (3rd generation)
- Roku and Roku Stick (select models)
- LG TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
- Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
- Sony TVs and Blu-ray players (select models)
Hope that this guide has helped you in understanding how to get Hulu on your Smart TV. If you still have any queries and can’t find the solution in the FAQ section, send us a message. Our geek squad at Streamints will surely find a way to get you sorted!